Friday, August 3, 2012

Sifting the Ashes: An interview with Colin Mahoney of Elivargar



Around what time did you start Elivargar, and what were your musical influences at the time?


I had started Elivargar in 1991 and it had a ton of different names. I started off as Corpse back then. Totally ripping off Corpse haha!, who was Grave at that point. I didn't think anyone would find out. It wasn't like there was some fan base for one man Swede ripoff death metal from CT. I was in thrash bands but I couldn't find anybody who was interested in playing stuff that raw. Very frustrating. 
Its funny, I was really into Slayer...and then I was listening to Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death. Totally sold on Death Metal. Whats funny was hearing "Left Hand Path"...I didn't get that whole sound. Then I bought "Like an Everflowing Stream"...hated it for about 2 days and then something clicked. 


Like myself, you're from the great state of Connecticut (HA!), do you find any inspiration from your surroundings up there when you write?



Nah, never anything from the surroundings. Certain seasons inspired me. For instance walking down the street in the woods and snow with my headphones. Listening to Left Hand Path. There is something cold about this music if done right. 

Has there been any interest in Elivargar from any labels? If so, who?



Unfortunately there has been no label interest in Elivargar. I can't see why there would be at this point. Music hasn't started making its way out until recently. I don't know the "industry" so I don't know what that industry is looking for. I like to think I can put out some interesting music but without a band... I don't know. So I haven't really tried to push it to labels. I try to put out decent material...I personally would like to hear decent music as opposed to a hastily put together live band. I enjoy blasting music in my headphones. But the labels want live bands I think. 

What are some of the other projects you're currently involved in?



I guess I've been involved in many other projects. Elivargar has certainly been the one that has come and gone over many years. Paleworn is and was another one. There's been a number haha! If I had to sum it up though: Elivargar,Paleworn, and a shitload of celtic,rock,metal,blah blah projects. It's all about how you feel at the time. There's all sorts... tell me "The Karelian Isthmus" didn't rule. 

I know from experience that CT isn't the greatest place for metal as it's been over run by 'Hardcore' fanatics or wannabe homeboys for quite some time. Has this proven to be a frustration in terms of finding others to write music with?



I dunno man, the hardcore thing really drives me insane. I mean to each his own, but fuck that. It's toughguy rip off crap. I never understood it....but I suppose they don't really understand us. What drives me up the wall is the breakdowns. It's pretty fucking cliche. The trend is gross man. It's the same riffs,same beats recycled. Creativity needs to come back, in a big way. 




Have you had the chance to play out yet?


Like I said, I would love to play out. That is really up in the air though. I have some people who say they want to do this. I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

What are some of the bands or releases that you've been digging lately? Any suggestions for me to check out?



Haven't been listening to a lot of newer stuff lately. Whatever gets me on the up and up. You'll catch me listening to Ratt haha! The Karelian Isthmus gets me going all the time, Bringing up some old stuff like Furbowl, Afflicted, as well as more old stuff like Dismember, and new stuff. Music to trip out to like Mount Eerie, anything. 

 What does the future hold for Elivargar?



That remains to be seen. I know I'll continue to put out new material. The ideal situation would be getting out there live. There's some killer bands reviving this and I want to be a part of that. Either way I want to put out killer music on disc atleast. I like to hear music personally even if I can't see it live. That is what matters to me. If somebody enjoyed and got something out of what they were hearing?...that makes it worth it. 

Alright Colin, thank you immensely for your time, do you have any final words for the damned?



Final words? Refer to last question haha! I hope people enjoy the music! And thank you very much for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment