Friday, September 21, 2012

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

This movie, to me, has more to do with the Chainsaw series (at least part 2) than any other film in that particular series. That was my first impression upon exposure to its contents. Yeah, yeah, yeah... " where's the chainsaw?","where's Leatherface?" Aah fuck it. These here are long lost cousins or some shit. Distant fuckin' relatives. I challenge anyone to watch the 1986 sequel to the original saw, Chainsaw 2, and tell me that this movie and that aren't riding the same vibe right down to Bill Moseley's mildly updated rendition of Choptop. Set design is fucking key folks and I swear you'd probably find Franklin's wheelchair bound corpse up in the attic of the 'Karen Black Clan' complete with colored lights and jingle bells. Merry fuckin' X-mas!

Now alot of people made a big fuss about this movie somehow having that good ol 1970's feel, what with the grainy shots and so on. The world is also overwhelmingly populated with morons and dumbfucks who'll say any-god damned-thing. I couldn't, and still can't shake the feeling that this was Rob's first outing with his 'Fischer Price: My First Camcorder' and cup my hands over my face and hide from some of the worst dialogue sloppily shat out of someones mouth. I'm fucking wowed that this guy is still somehow making movies in Hollywood and that people are still gagging on his dreadlocked cock. Hey, what the fuck do I know?

NOW... having got all of that out of the way, I do have to say that I enjoy the flick. I do get where Zombie is coming from and I for one was relieved when this film came out amidst the storm of homosexuality that was the plague of "psychological thrillers" rearing their crab infested heads in the early 2000's. Though I may think that he missed the mark when aiming to capture that somehow elusive "70's feel", I wholeheartedly dig the grimy and unabashed raping of the senses his film so earnestly attempts and somewhat achieves. One would have to be a total fucking asshole to not give Zombie props on the casting tip. Be it Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Karen Black or the old fuck from Saving Private Ryan, Zombie is an unapologetic fanboy in that regard and any genre nutcase such as yours truly can only eat it up and hope for more.

I have to champion this film (reluctantly of course) for what it ultimately stands for. House of 1000 Corpses is the result of a total fanboy getting his wish and being granted the opportunity to "have at it" and that's just what Zombie did. I've seen worse and in what will eventually prove to be the most embarrassing decade horror has ever known, Zombie's film I'm happy to say stands amongst the cream of the crap.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that that you can earn money by locking premium sections of your blog / website?
    To start you need to join Mgcash and use their Content Locking plugin.

    ReplyDelete