Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Enter the Temple: An interview with Worthless of Famine/Worthless Endeavors



What was the "transitional" moment for you when you realized that 'metal is the law'?

My mother listened to a lot of heavy stuff while I grew up, and she encouraged all things dark and evil in me, so there really wasn’t a transition, or a moment. But by the time I was eleven or twelve I was waging war on god and singing Venom songs like they were psalms.

What is your recollection of the Jersey metal scene back in the 80's/early 90's?

There were some real artists back then, and of course there was a lot of fucking scumbags too, just like in any other time or any other group of people. I was always disappointed in the scene, so I kept my distance from much of it, most of the time. When I started going to a lot of shows and meeting all the people involved in making the scene what it was, I realized only very few of them were really as insane and Satanic as they were fucking required to be. There was too many nerds and skanks, and shifty Dahmer types with ill fitting Wranglers lurking around. Everything turns to shit after it becomes more popular, because people fucking suck. It was all over after Biohazard made it big, they did much more damage than Nirvana. I don’t have a single close friend from those days who stayed Metal.

What year did you get involved in Deteriorot and what/who inspired you to go for that chunky sounding low end?

It was either 1990 or 91 that I was asked to join. I immediately suggested a different name for the band, perhaps the notion of this word following me around for twenty years didn’t feel right back then. What was I thinking? Paul and Jon were the creative forces behind Deteriorot. We were heavily influenced by the European bands at the time; Bolt Thrower, Grave, Entombed, etc. I had very little input, if any, in directing the sound of the band. I always had shitty equipment that was falling apart and had obnoxious buzzing problems, and I think Paul might agree that it actually may have contributed to some of the early sound. My guitar tracks were always way down in the mix to make room for Capt. Whammybar, hahahaa.



Can you tell me a little bit about Gomorrah? What/who was the inspiration for this band?

There were lots of influences, but Hellhammer and Cathedral were definitely among the strongest. I just wanted to write heavy, evil shit. My cousin and I started the band in 93 or 94 with a friend of ours. We had professionally recorded about ninety percent of an LP, but it was never finished because of a big disagreement. That disagreement ended the band as well. The studio material was eventually lost, but Elegy released a collection of rehearsals on CD a few years ago. I guess it’s noteworthy that I remember our strongest supporter back then, John Paradiso, in his Section 8 days, along with Rob from Solemn/Elegy were among the handful of people that attended our only show at Studio 1 in Newark in 93 or 94. Those songs were my first real attempts at writing music.

What led to your bowing out of Deteriorot


I’ve read Paul’s version of events and his account of it has some truth to it, but as I remember it, Paul just never called me or Jon to schedule a rehearsal and we didn’t really care enough to call him. Jon has a much better memory than mine. I’m sure there’s other dramatic details, but other events in my life have totally eclipsed any shred of memory there might of been left.

Can you tell me about the formation of 'Famine'?

I began working on Famine in 2003. There was a moment in the beginning when I considered forming a band but my methods of writing and recording dictate that no one else can be involved. I have a problem with musicians or artists that talk endlessly about their work and their over inflated stupid shit. I let Famine speak for itself.

Were you satisfied with the reaction to the self titled debut?

The reaction has been incredible, better than I anticipated. I always can tell who really listened to it, and who didn’t .



It's been almost 6 years since the release of the Famine debut. Are there any plans on releasing a second album?

It’s been a little over a year since it was properly released. The first release was a CDR given only to handful of people, and a handful of copies sold at Vintage Vinyl here in NJ. The vinyl release has 3 new tracks on it, and everything was completely remastered. The second album is being recorded and written slowly and I’m aiming for a release in 2013, but 2014 is more likely.

What year did you put 'Worthless Endeavors' together and what was your initial intent?

I formed Worthless Endeavors in 2010 as a way to release my own work , including paintings, sculptures, etc. , and release the work of other artists who I wouldn’t mind spending money on.

Is WE primarily a 'black metal' label and who are among the bands whose material you've released thus far?

Primarily I’d like to release Black Metal that is centered on the occult , but finding real artists within such a narrowly defined category is almost impossible. The Famine LP was the first release, and then recently a split 7” with Teratism and Morbus666 was pressed. The French band Gronde is on the roster and their insane self produced debut is available through WE. Hopefully the next album from them is coming soon. The Mexican band Ars Inferi was nearly on the roster until strange things started happening on their end.

Three albums you couldn't live without:

King D.’s Abigail, Shostakovich’s String Quartets 11, 12, 13 performed by The Beethoven String Quartet 1969 (Firma Melodya), Destruction’s Eternal Devastation, but that’s just the mood I’m in right now.


Jersey has never had a shortage of sick and blasphemous bands, yet it would seem that the underground media has remained somewhat ignorant of the area's contributions as opposed to the incessant praise lavished upon areas like Norway, Sweden, Florida, etc. Why do you think this is?

I have to disagree that New Jersey never had a shortage, but then again maybe I haven’t been paying too much attention . There’s always been a lot of shit bands here. I couldn’t begin to understand why people who represent “underground media” do anything they do. I equate the legacy that those failed, wannabe journalists have left behind to Tiger Beat and Teen magazine. It’s all so embarrassing and corny. They ‘ve diminished so much of all the great work that has been done everywhere, not just here.

Did you ever see the band called Rahway (http://www.rahwayband.com/)? When I hear the words Jersey Metal scene this is what I see in my mind. I have no desire to be any part of that world, I’d rather stab myself in the fucking neck .

Being a metal warrior from the days of old, what are thoughts on the current state of metal?

90% crap, just like always. Every once in a while I hear something that really fucking blows me away, but I don’t have much more room in my brain for absorbing the state of metal.



Any newer bands that have caught your attention? Any suggestions?

Usually I won’t check out new bands until somebody insists, but I definitely recommend Hellvetron from Texas, Galgeras from Holland isn’t new, and I don’t think they exist anymore but they were fucking great, Teratism, Morbus666, Bahimiron, Gronde , Incursus.

What does the future hold for 'Famine' and 'Worthless Endeavors'?

The next Famine album is gonna fucking destroy.

Alright Will, many thanks for your time. Any last words?

2 Kings 2:23-24 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.



For more information on Famine or Worthless Endeavors, check out the website here.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I've heard of the Famine before but never checked for it. But I do like this guy's attitude concerning occult and metal and although I'm not a particular fan of that form of black metal, I really like the video, dajjal. I can tell he's a brother of the lodge and am happy to know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is our need that you put it here in your post as much useful that all can take it as a good thing from your site. Thank you.
    digital marketing company in india

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healrun is a health news blog we provide the latest news about health, Drugs and latest Diseases and conditions. We update our users with health tips and health products reviews. If you want to know any information about health or health product (Side Effects & Benefits) Feel Free To ask HealRun Support Team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Supplements For Fitness since it allows you to move a healthy amount of fat through the system, preventing the body from going into starvation mode.In addition, Proactol aims to eliminate food cravings, reduces appetite, reduces blood pressure and cholesterol levels and increases joint flexibility. This will help reduce the pain that is

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pilpedia is supplying 100 percent original and accurate information at each moment of time around our site and merchandise, and the intent is to improve the usage of good and pure health supplement. For More Info please visit Pilpedia online store.

    ReplyDelete