Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sadistic Eroticism: An interview with Joe Doto from Excoriate



What were the circumstances that led to the formation of Excoriate and who were the primary influences of the band? What year did you guys start out?


The year was late 91 I think and I was in a band called BLIND HATRED when Rick, Rob and Chris had all been friends of mine when they approched me to join up with them and so i did , We were all fans of CANNIBAL CORPSE, MORBID ANGEL, CARCASS, NAPALM DEATH, SUFFOCATION and so on, we then added Pete on second guitar and EXCORIATE was born.


How was the scene in eastern CT at the time? What other bands were kickin' around your area back then?


The scene back in those days was on fire. You could see a death metal show every weekend. Bands like NECROFEAST and SADO MASIKIST were local to our area.
 

How often had you guys gigged in those days and who were some of the bands you shared the stage with?



We gigged a lot back then from NY to Mass with many bands. We did like a mini tour with New Jersey's PSYCHOSIS. My memory is shot.  If you ask Rick he could fill in the blanks!


What were the events that led to the demise of the band?



My getting busted at the time for dealing put me in a bad spot in life and that led to me leaving the band,and soon after the guys went their separate ways. 


Joe (far left) during the Blind Hatred days




Excoriate has always been one of the best kept secrets in CT, in the death metal scene overall though I've noticed as of late a growing interest in the band with the advent of the internet. What are your thoughts of this newfound interest in the band?



I think its great that the band is remembered after all these years. It makes me proud to have been a part of it.  

What's the current stats with your former bandmates?



Rick and I stay in touch pretty reg. Rob and I are Facebook friends without really staying in touch but that could be fixed 1,2,3. I have not had any contact Chris ever since the band ended and Pete I have not seen in years. 


I understand you've been quite busy since the demise of Excoriate. What are some of the different projects you've worked on throughout the years and what's going on with 'Cadaversphere'?



I went on to play in such bands as 60 GRIT, SELF INFLICTED, MURDERFIST, DEADWAIT and now CADAVERSPHERE which has been plagued with problems from the start till now, Every problem a band could have we have had it! Plus for the last 12 years i have been mixing bands live and recording as well.   

What are your thoughts on the current old school "revival" of death metal and how has the scene in CT changed throughout the years, if at all?



Im pleased that Death metal is on the rise but the scene here in CT is piss poor and that sucks!




Any chance of an Excoriate reunion or a possible re-release of 'Dead Molestation'?



If you could us all together again that would fucking great, or even Rick and I finding a drummer who could pull it off then we would be back in action! 


All right Joe, thanks a million for your time and I wish you luck with your future endeavors. Any last words?



It has been a pleasure answering your questions! Thank you for the interest. I will always want to play in a brutal band no matter how old I get, maybe one with you up front one day, you never know brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment